Looking for info about getting an Arkansas pharmacy tech license? Following are the important facts you need to know about the requirements for pharmacy technicians in Arkansas.
Updated in 2022!
Does Arkansas regulate pharmacy techs?
Is certification required to practice in Arkansas?
What certification exam(s) is/are approved by the state?
When is registration required?
Registration starts January 1 and is null and void on December 31 of the expiring registration year.
Is registration required?
Yes. You must obtain your registration certificate BEFORE working in a pharmacy.
What do I have to do to become registered?
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Pass a state and federal criminal background check.
- Submit a pharmacy technician application to the Arkansas State Board of Pharmacy requesting registration as a pharmacy technician.
- Submit a fingerprint card per the information on the application.
- Include the registration fee of $71.25 (personal check or money order). (The price has gone down!)
Is training required?
No, however, once licensed you must work under the direct supervision of a pharmacist licensed in Arkansas.
Are there Continuing Education (CE) requirements?
How often is renewal required?
What should I do if I change jobs or change my home address?
Notify the board immediately in writing. You may not work at a new pharmacy until the board has received notification.
Other good info to know about Arkansas pharm technician requirements
- An Arkansas pharmacy technician’s registration certificate and permit must be displayed in the pharmacy at all times.
- A technician must identify him-or herself as a pharmacy technician during any telephone conversations.
- A technician may only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment.
- In a retail or specialty pharmacy setting, two technicians may be utilized to assist one pharmacist in most cases.
- The Board of Pharmacy website includes important drug regulation updates. See the “Hot Topics” heading and the links below that. Stay informed!
- The Board also publishes a newsletter, which you can read online for free, including back copies for the last several years.
Essential Contact Info for Arkansas Pharmacy Techs
Arkansas State Board of Pharmacy
www.pharmacyboard.arkansas.gov Office: 101 E. Capitol, Suite 218 Little Rock, AR 72201 Voice: 501-682-0190 Fax: 501-682-0195
Professional Association for Arkansas Pharm Techs
Arkansas Pharmacists Association