Following are the important facts you need to know about the pharmacy technician Alabama license requirements. These rules change from time to time, and it’s not a bad idea to take a look at this page occasionally to make sure you’re up to date.
Updated in 2022!
Does Alabama regulate pharmacy technicians?
Is certification required to practice in Alabama?
Yes, from the Alabama Board of Pharmacy.
What certification exam(s) is/are approved by the state?
No particular education program requirements.
When is registration required?
Before practicing as a pharmacy technician.
Is licensure required?
Yes. You must obtain your registration certificate BEFORE working in a pharmacy.
What do I have to do to become licensed?
- Be 17 years of age or older.
- Submit an online pharmacy technician application to the Alabama State Board of Pharmacy requesting registration as a pharmacy technician (find online application form here).
- Include a recent (within 6 months) passport-type photo.
- Include the non-refundable fees of $60 for registration, $40 for the background check and $4 service fee for a total of $104.
Is training required?
No, however, once licensed you must work under the direct supervision of a pharmacist licensed in Alabama. You must also participate in continuing education (CE). See the next section for more information on CE requirements.
Are there Continuing Education (CE) requirements?
Yes. Each year you must obtain 3 hours of continuing education with one of the hours being a “live” credit hour; technicians can receive CE credit for any CE hour that is ACPE-T (Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education-Technician) or Alabama Board of Pharmacy (ALBOP) approved.
How often is renewal required?
Biennially on odd-numbered years.
What should I do if I change jobs or change my home address?
Notify the board within 10 days by downloading the appropriate form from www.albop.com Forms and Applications, fill out the form, and submit it to the Board.
Other good info to know about pharmacy technician Alabama requirements
- An Alabama pharmacy technician’s registration certificate must be displayed in the pharmacy at all times.
- A technician must wear a name tag identifying himself or herself as a pharmacy technician at all times while working.
- A technician may only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment and may not handle controlled substances.
- Three technicians, one of whom has certification through any credentialing organization approach by the board, are sufficient in the prescription area for each licensed pharmacist on duty in the state of Alabama.
Essential Contact Info for Pharmacy Technician Alabama
Alabama State Board of Pharmacy
Office: 111 Village St.
Hoover, AL 35242
Mail: P.O. Box 381988
Birmingham, AL 35238
Professional Association for AL Pharmacy Technicians
Alabama Pharmacy Association (APARX) https://www.aparx.org/