Looking for information about Idaho pharmacy technician license requirements? Following are the important facts you need to know about the requirements for pharmacy technicians in Idaho.
Updated in 2022!
Does Idaho regulate pharmacy technicians?
Is certification required to practice in Idaho?
Yes. You may, however, be hired as a technician-in-training while you are working toward certification for a maximum of two renewal periods (2 years).
In addition, technicians registered prior to July 1, 2009 are ‘grandfathered’ and are not required to be certified as long as they remain with the same employer.
What certification exam(s) is/are approved by the state?
PTCB (PTCE) and/or ICPT (ExCPT).
When is registration required?
Registration starts July 1 and is null and void on June 30 of the following year.
Is licensure required?
Yes. You must obtain your registration certificate BEFORE working in a pharmacy.
What do I have to do to become licensed?
- Applicant must be at least sixteen (16) years of age.
- Provide current government issued photo ID.
- Provide proof of high school graduation, equivalent, or greater. Examples:
- High school diploma.
- GED Completion.
- High school transcripts that indicate a date of graduation.
- College transcripts showing enrollment.
- Submission of a completed Fingerprint Card (Read more).
- Apply online.
For Certified Pharmacy Technicians only
- Have obtained and maintained certified pharmacy technician (CPhT) status through:
Is training required?
No, however, once licensed you must work under the direct supervision of a pharmacist licensed in Idaho. The pharmacist-in-charge is responsible for administering a training program for preparing, compounding, and distributing medications and is also responsible for maintaining records.
Are there Continuing Education (CE) requirements?
No, not mandated by Idaho; however, CE is required to maintain national certification.
How often is renewal required?
Annually. Renewal is done through the online application portal.
What should I do if I change jobs or change my home address?
Notify the board by downloading the appropriate form here. Fill out the form, and submit it to the Board.
Other good info to know about Idaho pharmacy technician requirements
- A technician must wear a name tag identifying him- or herself as a pharmacy technician at all times while working, and identify him- or herself as a pharmacy technician on the telephone.
- A technician may only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment.
- A pharmacist may oversee up to six pharmacy technicians, pharmacy technician trainees, or pharmacy interns at one time.
- No pharmacist whose license has been denied, revoked, suspended, or restricted for disciplinary purposes shall be eligible to be registered by the Board as a pharmacy technician or pharmacy technician in training.
Essential Contact Info for the Idaho Pharmacy Technician
Idaho Board of Pharmacy
https://bop.idaho.gov/ Office: 1199 Shoreline Lane, Ste. 303 Boise, ID 83702 Phone: 205-981-2280 Fax: 205.981.2330 Mail: P.O. Box 83720 Boise, ID 83702
Professional Association for Idaho Pharmacy Technicians
Idaho Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ISHP) www.ishp.shuttlepod.org