Looking for Iowa pharmacy technician license information? Following are the important facts you need to know about pharmacy tech Iowa requirements.
Updated in 2022!
Does Iowa regulate pharmacy technicians?
Is certification required to practice in Iowa?
Yes. You need to become nationally certified within one year of receiving your Iowa pharmacy tech license.
What certification exam(s) is/are approved by the state?
PTCB (PTCE) and ICPT (ExCPT).
When is registration required?
Within 30 days of beginning employment.
Is licensure required for an Iowa pharmacy technician?
Yes. You must submit your registration application with 30 days of accepting employment in a pharmacy as a certified pharmacy technician or a technician trainee.
What do I have to do to become licensed?
- For a Certified Iowa Pharmacy Technician: Submit an online certified pharmacy technician application to the Iowa State Board of Pharmacy requesting registration as a certified pharmacy technician (Online profile login here).
- For Pharmacy Technician Trainees: Submit a written pharmacy technician trainee application to the Iowa State Board of Pharmacy requesting registration as a certified pharmacy technician. A person who seeks to work in an Iowa pharmacy, either to receive on-site training or as part of a college-based accredited technician training program, must obtain a pharmacy technician trainee registration prior to working in the secured pharmacy area. Failure to obtain registration prior to working in a pharmacy is grounds for public discipline.
- Initial fees are calculated by the date of signature on the application and the expiration date of your national certification. Fees vary from $0 to $60 depending on the renewal date of your certification.
Is training required?
No. Each pharmacy will train its own technicians and maintain proper records.
Are there Continuing Education (CE) requirements?
Not specifically for Iowa, however, to maintain your certification, you must satisfy the national CE requirements.
How often is renewal required?
Pharmacy technician licenses is valid for a period of two years, and registration expiration dates match the date that the technician’s national certification expires. The renewal fee is $0 to $40, depending on how long your national certification is valid upon renewal.
What should I do if I change jobs or change my home address?
Report the change to the Board within 10 days.
Other good info to know about Iowa pharmacy tech requirements
- The pharmacy technician’s certificate of registration must be displayed and visible to the public in the pharmacy where the technician is employed.
- The technician must wear a nametag identifying him- or herself as a pharmacy technician at all times while working in the pharmacy.
- The supervising pharmacist is responsible for all actions of the pharmacy technician.
- Pharmacy technicians need to become nationally certified within one year of registering with the Iowa Board of Pharmacy.
Essential Contact Info for the Iowa Pharmacy Technician
Iowa Board of Pharmacy
Office: 400 SW Eighth Street, Suite E
Des Moines, Iowa 50309-4688
Professional Association for Iowa Pharmacy Technicians
Iowa Pharmacy Association