Looking for North Dakota pharmacy technician license information? Following are the important facts you need to know about the requirements for pharmacy technicians in North Dakota.
Updated in 2022!
Does North Dakota regulate pharmacy technicians?
Is certification required to practice in North Dakota?
What certification exam(s) is/are approved by the state?
When is registration required?
You may apply for registration after completion of the Board-approved educational and training program and achieving certification. Or you may apply for pharmacy technician-in-training status and complete the requirements to be a licensed pharmacy technician within 2 years.
Is licensure required?
What do I have to do to become licensed?
- Successfully complete a Board-approved academic program or an on-the-job Board-approved training program that is directed by the pharmacist-in-charge.
- Pass the PTCE and achieve national certification.
- Submit a written pharmacy technician application to the North Dakota State Board of Pharmacy requesting registration as a pharmacy technician (download application here).
- Include the nonrefundable application fee of $35.
- Include a passport-type photo.
- Or you may submit a written “pharmacy technician-in-training” application to the North Dakota State Board of Pharmacy requesting registration as a pharmacy technician-in-training (download application here). The application fee is $10; include a passport-type photo. You must complete your training as described previously within 2 years, then seek North Dakota licensure as a certified pharmacy technician.
Is training required?
Yes, the supervising pharmacist oversees on-the-job training.
Are there Continuing Education (CE) requirements?
Yes. Although exempt from CE requirements for your first license renewal, thereafter you must complete 10 hours of CE each year prior to renewal. In addition, you must satisfy the CE requirements to maintain your national certification.
How often is renewal required?
Annually, by March 1 of every year. The renewal fee is $35. You may renew online here.
What should I do if I change jobs or change my home address?
Report the change to the Board within 15 days.
Other good info to know about North Dakota pharmacy tech requirements
- Technicians must wear name tags identifying themselves as pharmacy technicians and display their registration certificates at all times while working.
- A technician may only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment.
- The supervising pharmacist (or pharmacist-in-charge) is responsible for all actions of the pharmacy technician.
- The supervising pharmacist may supervise three to four pharmacy technicians, depending on the work setting.
Essential Contact Info for North Dakota Pharmacy Technicians
North Dakota State Board of Pharmacy
www.nodakpharmacy.com Office: 1906 E. Broadway Avenue Bismarck, ND 58501-1354 Mail: PO Box 94986 Lincoln, NE 68509-4986 Telephone: 701-328-9535 Fax: 701-328-9536
Professional Association for North Dakota Pharmacy Technicians
North Dakota Pharmacists Association (NDPhA) www.nodakpharmacy.net