Looking for Louisiana pharmacy tech license information? Following are the important facts you need to know about the requirements for pharmacy technicians in Louisiana.
Updated in 2022!
Does Louisiana regulate pharmacy technicians?
Is certification required to practice in Louisiana?
What certification exam(s) is/are approved by the state?
When is registration required?
Prior to working in or earning any practical experience in a pharmacy.
Is licensure required?
Yes. You will have 18 months after initial registration to complete the educational and practical training requirements in order to obtain licensure as a pharm tech in Louisiana.
What do I have to do to become licensed?
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Submit an online application to the Louisiana State Board of Pharmacy requesting registration as a pharmacy technician candidate (find online application form here). Include the non-refundable application fee of $25.
- Submit to a criminal background check.
- Submit proof of enrollment in a Board-approved pharmacy technician program. The curriculum of the structured program is composed of the elements contained in the Pharmacy Technician Training Program Minimum Competencies.
- Pass a Board-approved exam (PTCE).
- Earn 600 practical hours in the field. Of the required minimum 600 hours, not less than 200 hours shall be earned during and as part of a structured program.
- Note: If you have already successfully completed the educational and training requirements as set forth by the Louisiana Board of Pharmacy, you may apply to be a certified pharmacy technician by applying online here). Include the application fee of $100.
Is training required?
Are there Continuing Education (CE) requirements?
Yes. A minimum of 10 Board-approved credit hours are required annually as a condition of license renewal.
How often is renewal required?
Annually. Pharmacy technician licenses expire on June 30 of the renewal year. The renewal fee is $50. The Board will mail renewal applications to the licensee’s address of record.
What should I do if I change jobs, training site, or my home address?
Notify the Board in writing within 10 days.
Other good info to know about Louisiana pharmacy tech requirements:
- A pharmacist preceptor, who is responsible for the instructional training of pharmacy technician candidates, may supervise only one candidate at a time.
- The ratio of technicians to pharmacists on duty shall not exceed two to one at any given time.
- The supervising pharmacist is responsible for all actions of the pharmacy technician.
Essential Contact Info for Louisiana Pharmacy Techs
Louisiana Board of Pharmacy
www.pharmacy.la.gov Office: 3388 Brentwood Drive Baton Rouge, LA 70809-1700 Telephone: 225-925-6496 Fax: 225-925-6499
Professional Association for Louisiana pharmacy techs
Louisiana Pharmacists Association
For more specific info, read about becoming a pharmacy technician in New Orleans.
Louisiana Q & A
Getting Paid as a Pharmacy Tech Candidate
In Louisiana, does Pharmacy Technician candidates get paid during training? If so, how much?
Reply by PharmacyTechPros: Mya, thanks for your question. The answer is – it depends! If you’re employed as a pharm tech candidate, in Lousiana or otherwise, your employer will pay you as you get your education. How much depends on a lot of factors, but you will definitely be able to get a pay raise once you finish your training.