Looking for Kentucky pharmacy tech license information? Following are some vital facts you need to know about the requirements for pharmacy technicians in Kentucky.
Updated in 2022!
Does Kentucky regulate pharmacy technicians?
Is certification required to practice in Kentucky?
No. However, technicians holding current certification by a board-approved certification program may perform additional duties under proper supervision.
What certification exam(s) is/are approved by the state?
PTCB (PTCE) and ICPT (ExCPT).
When is registration required?
Within 30 days of beginning employment.
Is licensure required?
Yes. You must be registered with the Board within 30 days of employment in a pharmacy.
What do I have to do to become licensed?
- Be 16 years of age or older.
- Submit a written application to the Kentucky State Board of Pharmacy requesting registration as a pharmacy technician (application info here). Include the nonrefundable application fee of $25.
Is training required?
Are there Continuing Education (CE) requirements?
How often is renewal required?
Annually. Pharmacy technician licenses expire on March 31 of the renewal year. The renewal fee is $25. In the beginning of the year a renewal reminder will be mailed to your last known address on file at the Board office. Online renewal will be available beginning the first week of January. Please print a renewal application if you wish to submit by mail, or renew online here.
What should I do if I change jobs or change my home address?
Report the change to the Board within 30 days. To change your information with the Board, complete the Individual Information Change Form. Submit to the Board office by email, [email protected] or by fax, 502-696-3806.
Other good info to know about Kentucky pharmacy tech requirements
- The pharmacy technician’s certificate of registration must be displayed and visible to the public in the pharmacy where the technician is employed, and the technician’s pocket card should be in his or her possession at all times when working in the pharmacy.
- Pharmacy technicians who volunteer their time as pharmacy technicians at pharmacies operated by a charitable provider are not required to pay the registration and/or renewal fees.
- The supervising pharmacist is responsible for all actions of the pharmacy technician.
Essential Contact Info for Kentycky Pharmacy Technicians
Kentucky Board of Pharmacy
https://pharmacy.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx Office: State Office Building Annex, Ste 300 125 Holmes Street Frankfort, KY 40601 Telephone: 502-564-7910 Fax: 502-696-3806
Professional Association for Pharmacy Techs
Kentucky Pharmacists Association www.kphanet.org
Stay up to date on the latest pharmacy information and regulation that’s specific to Kentucky by visiting the Board of Pharmacy often. Here is a link to their updates page. They also have an option to “Like” them on Facebook, which will allow you to see their updates through Facebook. Drug and pharmacy information changes often. Impress your boss by staying on top of the latest info!
1 thought on “Kentucky Pharmacy Tech License Info”