Looking for Maryland pharmacy tech license information? Following are the important facts you need to know about the requirements for pharmacy technicians in Maryland.
Updated in 2022!
Does Maryland regulate pharmacy technicians?
Is certification required to practice in Maryland?
No. If you are not certified, you must complete a Board-approved training program consisting of 160 hours of training, which must be completed within six months.
What certification exam(s) is/are approved by the state?
PTCB (PTCE) and ICPT (ExCPT).
When is registration required?
Pharmacy technician students, who can verify that they are in Board-approved training programs, may wait until they have finished the program and passed the exam (no longer than six months) to register. If you are a certified pharmacy technician, you must register immediately.
Is licensure required?
What do I have to do to become licensed?
- Be 17 years old or older.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent or currently be a high school student in good standing.
- Submit a written pharmacy technician application to the Maryland State Board of Pharmacy requesting registration as a pharmacy technician (download application).
- Include the non-refundable application fee of $45.
- Submit to a criminal background check. The criminal background check will cost an additional fee of $38, which will be paid directly to the CJIS (Criminal Justice Information System).
- If you are certified, you must include proof of certification with your application.
- If you are not certified, you must include proof with your application that you have successfully completed a Board-approved training program and passed the Board-approved exam.
Are there Continuing Education (CE) requirements?
Yes. You must earn 10 hours of approved continuing education within the 2-year period immediately preceding your first renewal application, and 20 hours thereafter.
How often is renewal required?
Pharmacy technician licenses expire on the last day of the birth month of the registrant, 1 year after initial registration, and thereafter may be renewed for a term of no longer than two years. Renewal applications are sent by the Board to the technician or can be downloaded here). The renewal fee is $45.
What should I do if I change jobs or change my home address?
Report the change to the Board.
Other good info to know about Maryland pharmacy tech requirements
- Pharmacy technicians in Maryland cannot administer flu shots.
- A technician may only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment.
- The supervising pharmacist is responsible for all actions of the pharmacy technician.
Essential Contact Info for Maryland Pharmacy Techs
Maryland Board of Pharmacy
Office: 201 West Preston Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Telephone: 410-767-6500 or toll-free 877-463-3464 Fax:
Professional Association for Maryland pharmacy techs
Maryland Pharmacists Association www.marylandpharmacist.org
Maryland Q & A
Certification For Maryland
I am PTCB certified, do I need to obtain state certification for the state of Maryland?
Response from PharmacyTechPros.com: You need to register as a pharmacy technician with Maryland’s Board of Pharmacy. Follow this link to download a registration form.
Wishing you all the best!
Easy if you have a background/degree in biology/pre-med and experience with computers.
Response from PharmacyTechPros.com: Chris, we agree with you. If you’ve been a pre-med student or have a biology background you’ll find pharmacy technician work relatively easy to pick up.
Wishing you all the best!